LATEST:
 

Monday 24 May 2010

Martin Horwood, Cheltenham MP, in Talks with Kraft

Martin Horwood, MP for Cheltenham, has declared his allegiance to the Queen in Parliament on 19 May 2010. The affirmation has legal effect and Members who have not taken it are unable to sit during any debate or vote in a division, or they will lose their seat.

Martin affirmed ‘I Martin Horwood do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, That I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law.’

Martin said ‘I am delighted to officially resume my seat in Parliament today. It has been a real honour to serve the people of Cheltenham for the last five years and I am looking forward to doing so once again.’
Martin started his work as an MP by holding 'constructive’ talks with Kraft about their planned move out of Cheltenham. The US food giant’s UK headquarters is currently in Bayshill Road and employs more than 400 people. Following their controversial purchase of Cadbury, the company has announced plans to consolidate head office functions in Bournville and Uxbridge. Consultation with staff is likely to carry on late into the summer and closure of the Cheltenham headquarters, if confirmed, would take place in late 2011.

Talks today focussed on the process and scope of the consultation, support for Kraft’s Cheltenham-based employees, the company’s local community programme and the advantages of Cheltenham as a corporate location.

Martin said ‘I put the strongest possible case for the retention of a Kraft presence in Cheltenham. I understand the huge importance of Bournville to the Cadbury brand and community. I don’t want to raise false hopes but I did point out that if I worked in Uxbridge, I’d leap at the chance to move to Cheltenham.’

‘If the closure does go ahead as expected, it’s essential that Kraft support the employees who will lose or leave their jobs, and those that are able and happy to move and those that want to commute, for instance from Cheltenham to Bournville. That could include acknowledging the demands longer commuting distances will put on family responsibilities. I was very encouraged by Kraft’s initial response and I think they are very conscious of their reputation as a good employer and their obligation to people who have worked hard for the company here for many years.’

‘I was also pleased to hear that they will be maintaining their community involvement in Gloucestershire, at least for the moment. The health4schools programme, for instance, will continue to completion.’

‘I’m also pleased that Kraft have agreed to co-operate with the new task force that we are setting up in Cheltenham to respond to this situation. We understand why they are proposing their own move but their endorsement of Cheltenham as a world-class headquarters location would be very valuable indeed.’

No comments:

Post a Comment